Boomer Lit Three Years Later: What Next?

King Lear and Cordelia - painting by Ford Madox Brown (Source: click here)
In a way, Boomer Lit has been around for ever. Any book dealing with the challenges of "mature life" (meaning over 50) could be said to be "Boomer Lit".

And now that some 78 million baby boomers in the US have reached 50 or are older - and that's a big segment of the American population - the term Boomer Lit given to the kind of books they want to read has truly come into its own.

Why do I claim "Boomer Lit" was founded three years ago? Some people may say they'd heard the term before, that it was "floating in the air" and they could well be right.

But something specific happened three years ago that made it literally come out of its chrysalis and be born as a new genre -  a genre, I'm convinced, destined to become a great marketing success, given the sheer number of baby boomers. Not just in the US but around the world. And these are people who are rapidly reaching retirement age or are already retired...which means they've got plenty of time on their hands to read!

The Love Story stars, reunited today, see here
So what exactly happened three years ago to launch Boomer Lit? By chance, at this time of year (actually September 2012) I had just published a novel about a man facing a new phase in his life after retirement and the choices he makes threaten his marriage.

My problem was I didn't know in which genre to place it. Romance since it dealt with a marriage relationship gone awry? Yes, but the man is over 60, and he has a love adventure with a woman in her 50s.

As we all know, "classic" romance is like Segal's Love Story, all about young people. Also my book drilled in depth with how it feels like when you stop working and the rug is pulled out under your feet. Not the usual stuff of romance!

How to market such an odd book that didn't fit anywhere?

That's when I turned to a Kindle Forum thread for listing new books under specific genres and asked the moderator to allow the addition of a new genre aimed at Baby Boomers (I figured they were my audience). My request was granted and that boosted my confidence. I felt I was on the right road.

Happily armed with this new Amazon avenue that had opened up for marketing my book, I turned to Goodreads, looking for a group to discuss Baby Boomer novels and possibly get a chance to talk about my book and list it and reach out to more people.

Tough luck. I found no such group anywhere on Goodreads (and there are thousands of groups dealing with thousands of different themes!).

Determined to launch my book, I wasn't discouraged. I'd been already fairly active on Goodreads for years and achieved the status of "librarian", so it was a no-brainer to found a group to discuss Baby Boomer novels - or BB novels as I called them, I liked the humorous, facetious aspect of this term. If YA was for Young Adults, surely BB was for Baby Boomers?

I started the group in October 2012 with an explanatory pitch around this BB novel concept and put up a photo-shopped picture of my husband reading his Kindle ( washed over in blue color letting his hair show white - he actually has dark hair!).



By December 2012, the group had attracted over 50 extremely enthusiastic and active members and I started to write about in several online publications  and the Baby Boomer ball got rolling (for details on how it went, click my Boomer Lit tab above)...

In fact, today, three years later, the group has grown to nearly 600 - most of them, if not all, Boomer Lit authors.

That's a lot of writers who claim to be writing Boomer Lit!  Writers who belong to the Group know that they also have at their disposal a Facebook page to announce their books or special events and a Twitter account (@boomerlit. To support Boomer Lit events, there is a dedicated hashtag: #boomerlit

To go to page, click here

In the spring of 2013, the Goodreads member of our BB novel group discussed the title of the group and there was a unanimous agreement that it should be called "Boomer Lit" because it didn't cover just novels but also memoirs, poetry etc.

And there was a pointed discussion about the very nature of Boomer Lit: did it cover just challenges facing the "third age" or did it  also evoke the past, what it was like growing up in the 1960's and 1970's? I've always felt that the former was truly Boomer Lit while the latter was not. In my opinion, nostalgia pieces - whether a poem, a novel or a short story -  that deal with, say, a first love that happened some 40 years ago should still be classified as YA romance and not Boomer Lit. Why? Because it features, yes, a "young adult" (or maybe not so young, perhaps someone in their twenties) - but surely not anyone over 50!

At least that was my view and I fought for it, but not always winning that battle. Many Group members felt nostalgia was definitely part of Boomer Lit even if it dealt with a first love.

I believe this is the kind of intellectual "battle" only a Big Publisher could win.

That's why Boomer Lit, to get truly established and go mainstream, needs to have a traditional publisher, preferably one of the Big Five, set up a Boomer Lit imprint. With a clear definition of what the term Boomer Lit covers and a clear outreach strategy to Baby Boomers.

I'm convinced such an imprint, correctly launched, would automatically access a huge market. Some authors have already made a splash with books that are clearly "Boomer Lit", notably "The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel" that's been turned into two films, and there's no reason that many more Boomer Lit authors of quality cannot be found.

Source: click here

For a partial list of Boomer Lit books, check the Wikipedia entry, here. A publisher could also ask its editors to look among the members of the Goodreads Boomer Lit group. The group discussed a number of books and those discussions were very fruitful in helping to define what was and what was not quality Boomer Lit. And all those discussion threads are online, easy to access.

Furthermore, I'm pleased to report that the Goodreads Boomer Lit Group has started a particularly interesting thread about Boomer Lit, its challenges and potential as a major genre, to read it click here.

Yes, Boomer Lit has a future and in America, its future is 78 million strong! The first publisher who wakes up to this opportunity and establishes a Boomer Lit imprint is likely to be richly rewarded.

Your views? What do you think you can do to help put Boomer Lit on the map?

Comments